There are clear requirements for driving passengers with Uber. It is important that you study the Uber Website for all the latest details and requirements for driving with Uber, especially for your particular location. To help your research, here we summarize Uber’s main requirements.
Generally, Uber requires that you:
- Are at least 21 years old.
- Are eligible to work in Canada.
- Have a valid full-class driver’s license (normally for the province where you will drive).
- Have at least 1 year of driving experience in Canada (3 years, in some locations).
- Provide an eligible vehicle. (This is for UberX, the most popular rider option):
- Registered & insured (both in your name)
- No older than 10 years (7 years, in some locations)
- Good condition & appearance
- 4 doors, and seats for 4 passengers (besides driver)
- Winter tires (some locations)
- Clear 2 safety screenings (Uber handles this for you) (Done annually):
- Driving record check
- Criminal history check
- Have a local regulatory license (required in Toronto and some other locations) (Uber handles this for you).
- Are willing to sign the legal agreements which reflect your arrangements with Uber and your commitment to comply with Uber’s Community Standards.
As you are probably aware, you must provide your own technology: A verifiable email address and cellphone number; and a smartphone and data plan with sufficient coverage for all your online work and road time.
Before Uber activates your account, you must provide certain documents (by uploading, or by bringing to the local Uber “Greenlight Hub” Office):
- Driver’s license (full class)
- Proof of eligibility to work in Canada
- Extra ID for security checks
- Photo (according to Uber’s specifications)
- Documents related to the vehicle you will be using:
- Registration (in name of delivery person)
- Insurance (in name of delivery person)
- Inspection/Safety Safety Certificate (done annually)
- GST/HST Account Number
Once you provide all the documentation, it should normally take just 1-2 weeks (or sometimes less) for the necessary security checks and licenses to be completed. To speed up the process, start by immediately signing up and then uploading all available documents, so Uber can get to work on the approval process (even if you are lacking other documents such as the Inspection). While waiting, begin planning your strategy for making the most money driving passengers with Uber.
Be sure to study the Uber Website about specific requirements in your area. Once you are confident that you are qualified, then go ahead and take the next step: SIGN UP! It only takes a few minutes to set up your Uber Account, providing basic information to establish your driver profile.
Don’t worry – Uber does not require fees or deposits, and there are no binding obligations or legal traps. At any point along the way, you can pause to get answers to your questions. So you might as well get started now. The sooner you sign up and launch the registration process, the sooner you’ll be out on the road earning money.
(Note: When you click the link to go to Uber’s sign-up page, you’ll notice it mentions Douglas and inserts an Invite Code douglasa1940ue. This tells Uber you were referred by Gig Drivers of Canada. We would be grateful if you will leave the Invite Code in place, so Gig Drivers can receive recognition and a small referral reward to help cover our expenses. Thank you very much!)